Sunday, December 30, 2012

Dancing at Midnight



Last night I went out to dinner with of few girlfriends whom I’ve been friends with since Jr. High... Let’s not count the years.... I think it has been about a year since I have been out to dinner with them sans kids. My youngest is 8 months and since I am nursing, I rarely go anywhere without him. Hubby kept me updated on the kids and assured me he had everything under control and to just have fun. I do have a wonderful husband, don’t I?


It is always great to catch up and have feminine conversations that have nothing to do with transformers, Star wars, or Diapers. Although, we did get to sneak in a few brief topics about the joys of motherhood. (This is not when the dancing at midnight happens….That part is later) At the end of dinner I took a short trip to Riz’s house.  She and her husband just bought their first home a few months ago and this was the first time I was able to see it.  I think I am going to try to hire her to decorate my house when we buy it. Her home was so cute and cozy, like an article out of Better Homes and Gardens magazine! I also got to meet her new doggy, boots. He is an adorable well behaved little Lhasa Apso with such a happy demeanor! I am so happy for her and all of her happiness!

On the drive home, which was about 40 minutes, my head and heart started battling with each other. “O how I miss just running out for a few minutes to grab a quick dinner and coming right back home and not have to drive 40 minutes back.  O, how I miss making daily mass when I am able to. O, how I miss being close to town sometimes. Ok, calm down and stop being so dramatic…. You just have the winter blues.” Yes, arguing with myself actually happens inside my head. The country songs starting coming on about family and kids and I had to remind myself to drive a bit slower so I can make it home in one piece. I could feel it in my body that my little guy was crying for me. All you Moms know how that is. I couldn’t get home fast enough. As soon as I pulled up, I ran in the house and sure enough there was my hubby rocking and trying to console one face soaked little Bear. And in that one second that I grabbed him and held him in my arms again I was at ease.

The rest of the night my little bear was so over joyous to be with me again. He was full of smiles and laughs and wouldn’t let me go. He was bright and animated like I’ve never seen him before. My heart was happy. This is where the dancing at midnight comes in…. O, yes, I forget to mention that I got home a little after 10:00 pm and Bear had taken an hour nap from 8-9 and woke up crying for me. So he was full of energy from his supposed to be bedtime nap. So, I took it and ran with it. It was late and we should both be in bed… Ehhh, O well!! We were having fun! We played music and we danced well into midnight. It was such a beautiful thing to look over at him while we were dancing and to see his wide smile covering his face and his eyes glistening as we went around the living room. Giggles and giggles constantly interrupted the song and it couldn’t have been more perfect.  It played out like a slow motion black and white scene. And I knew I had to keep that memory in my mind forever because as they grow up so fast and these are the memories I don’t want to forget…. And apparently neither did he because he fought tooth and nail to go to sleep after that.

Here he is when we finally settled down to sleep.  



As we celebrate the feast of the Holy Family today, I hold my babies close and Thank God for the love he blessed me with in my children and my Husband. Along with wonderful friends who so happily run at the chance to have dinner with me on a rare night out. 



God sets a father in honor over his children;
a mother's authority he confirms over her sons.
Whoever honors his father atones for sins,
and preserves himself from them.
When he prays, he is heard;
he stores up riches who reveres his mother.
Whoever honors his father is gladdened by children,
and, when he prays, is heard.
Whoever reveres his father will live a long life;
he who obeys his father brings comfort to his mother.

-Sir. 3:2-6

O God, who were pleased to give us the shining example of 
the Holy Family, 
graciously grant that we may imitate them in practicing 
the virtues of family life and in the bonds of charity, 
and so, in the joy of your house, 
delight one day in eternal rewards. 
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
 who lives and reigns with you in the unity
 of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.


No comments: